Insult a Thai Monarch, Spend 10 Years in the Pokey

King Bhumibol Adulyadej

It appears the Thai people take this whole royals thing rather seriously. Thirty-four-year-old Suwicha Thakho, a former oil field worker, just got sentenced to 10 years in prison for posting photoshopped pictures of Thailand’s beloved King Bhumibol Adulyadej and his family on his blog. It seems he violated Thailand’s lese majeste laws, which bestow severe penalties for insulting the royal family. Had he not plead guilty he might have gotten 20 years in the slammer.

The above picture is NOT one of those Thakho posted. (I can’t find any copies of those he did post.) But I can’t imagine he did worse than that. How many years in prison do you think that warrants? Any good caption suggestions, anyone?

23 Responses to “Insult a Thai Monarch, Spend 10 Years in the Pokey”

1. on 26 Aug 2010 at 6:24 am Tf

Uhm maybe because in Thailand respect is taken very seriously there. Like are you even Thai?
    Stfu and gtfo…

2. on 04 May 2011 at 6:26 pm num

Actuality, about 250 years ago or older than that. If someone do this would die.

3. on 29 Jun 2011 at 10:06 pm margot

Please kindly delete this picture, It is very sensitive to me as a Thai who respect our King. If you don’t like him, it no need to insult or disgrace a people.
    insulting people is not the same as freedom speech right. Thank you.

4. on 05 Sep 2011 at 7:02 am KMA

They look like the three stooges, are they going to a halloween party?

5. on 28 Nov 2011 at 9:52 am dan tynan

no, I’m an American and I live in the USA, where we respect freedom of thought and expression. far more important than respecting an antiquated form of government and the draconic rules they enforce.

dt

6. on 04 Jun 2012 at 7:59 am Red People

ไอ้สัส ไอ้เหี้ย กูเห็นรูปนี้กูเจ็บปวดมาก

ไอ้สัสนรก มึงกล้าทำกับพ่อกูอย่างนี้หรอวะ

7. on 05 Jun 2012 at 5:05 am ton

ใคทำวะ อยากล่อหน้ามันวะอย่าให้เจอที่สยามนะ

8. In Thailand ,we also like freedom .Loving royal institution doesn’t mean unfreedom,you don’t know that??? I think Thailand has freedom more that in usa ,I had been there for a year,have you ever been here in Thailand ??? By the way , in here no bady force Thais to love(so this is not your business),we just love them because they are great person ,they help all Thais to have better life unlike some royalty as you know(if you don’t know any about Thai ,please shut up) ,also they work more than you do .

9. on 04 Aug 2012 at 9:30 am Andrea

Thanks for your post. It is a perfect example of the ignorance of Americans to the world that lies beyond their borders. You truly demonstrate why many people in many lands on many continents despise Americans and the United States.

10. on 08 Aug 2012 at 11:27 am dan tynan

@andrea:

you’re welcome. somehow, though, I feel like maybe there are other reasons “many people in many lands on many continents despise the US” than my silly scribblings on that photo.

juvenile? yes. failure to understand the point of view in other cultures? maybe. but if you’re ok with someone being sentenced to ten years in prison for posting an insulting photo on a blog, there’s something wrong with you. just my humble opinion, a freedom that as a citizen of this despised country I get to exercise on a regular basis.

you can love your king or queen, if you want. but in the end they’re just human beings, not gods.

11. on 03 Sep 2012 at 5:22 am Alex

Those who purposely ignore the law are not respecting freedom. There are rules n regulations. U American also bonded by rules, right? If I go to America n start breaking your rules, I will be in jail, too. Be respectful to other country n cultures; accept others’ differences.

12. on 03 Sep 2012 at 6:08 am Alex

If you know more about our king, you will love him as much as we do.

13. on 03 Sep 2012 at 6:17 am Kris

Dan Tynan
    You don’t know anything about people respect. I’m so disappointed for our American people. Please, stop disgrace your nation!

14. on 03 Sep 2012 at 5:07 pm Raw

Youre right! we all just human beings, and also a normal animal at the same time.
    If one not started the others would not come (i’m not sure you get this).

You can post any of your pictures that you like or you want (for any reason you want), but in the end you are just an animal and a human at the same time and ofcoz not a god too.

One man can makes differance than the others , just like you make this picture post and says you respect in freedom of though? and what is the reason you post this one.? to make differrance? ofcoz its your freedome for you to do then “Nike”.

This is a good example of a human failure , dont worry it is just a stupid opinion from me.
    Good exercise on a human failure basis.

15. on 05 Sep 2012 at 7:24 am OM

This topic is very complicate and sensitive in Thailand. I respect your freedom of speech and my intention here is maybe to give you some explanation or maybe some enlightenment about our culture. In Thailand now a day there are people who hate and love the king almost at the same amount (unlike in the past) because of their misunderstanding and mislead, but I’m not going to explain about that. In respond to your thought here, in our constitution there are laws that said “people should not insult the king” because the king do not have right to sue anyone. So the strong law about insulting the king is there to protect the king. Unlike in other country where everyone can sue another person if they think that they are being insulted. This is one of the simple reason I can give you, so hope you understand it.

16. on 24 Nov 2012 at 9:30 pm ohhhdear

oh dear. dude this is a crime in Thailand even worse than murder!!! freedom of expression doesn’t mean you can deface a country’s most respected person. By doing this, you deserve to be condemned by Thai people.

17. on 13 Dec 2012 at 11:26 pm เวร

ประเทศพ่อมึงไม่มีพระมหากษัตริย์ให้เคารพรึไงวะไอ้เวรพระกษัตริย์มึงคงสิ้นไปแล้วใช่ไหม Who is post so sillyyyyyy
    fuck you! poster

18. on 18 Dec 2012 at 3:07 am Ken

Hey asshole, take this picture down. I’m American too, and I say you’re dumb as a buffalo. The freedom you speak of isn’t the freedom we fight for. Thailand has a wonderful King. He deserves the respect all Thais give him. Go to school, ask your mom how to be a functional member of society, and stop embarrassing the rest of us Americans.

19. on 03 Jan 2013 at 7:06 am I Understand U

Hi Dan. I understand how you as an American think about this. You will never feel fair or justice from going 10 years into prison for just editing pics. Your nation started off from the concept of total freedom where there were no ancient culture or spiritual beliefs at all, that is a good thing, but you have to understand that other countries are not the same. We Thais have been taught 1000 years ago that monarch is meant to be a demigod. This concept is not used anymore in present day, but the thing is we have been through something like that before. Ofcourse there must be some conservatists, apprarently Thailand has manyof them.
    Now let’s get to the point. The reason why most of us Thais still give a really high respect to the “current” king isn’t because we actually think he is a demigod. It’s because all of the things we and him have been through since the beginning of his reign. It was paradise. He helped us alot alot. I really mean alot. I am 100% guarantee sure no King in this world today will do such thing. Visiting poor and rural areas to develop poeple’s arigculture? Developing arigculture in this I really mean he is the head of all the work. The research, from step 1 till the end. Many dam projects and ideal concepts that prevent us Thais from being a slave by materialism(Sufficient Economic). There are still alot more out there. I understand your point is just that the man shouldn’t get 10 years in prison. But that’s just life in Thailand. The lese-majeste law may sound ridiculous to you but joking or having fun with the monarch isn’t something we Thais should do. It’s a worse disrespect. It’s like saying nigga to the Black. Different places have different laws and if that law doesn’t really disturb your human rights that much… just try to follow it. United States has different law for each state. Same here in Thailand. I love the concept of American freedom but I am also proud of being Thais. I will never let anyone insult who I really respect and love. I respect and love him not because I should or the law says so. It’s because I have seen what he has done to us and I really do appreciated it. That’s all
    With all respect.

20. on 05 Apr 2013 at 6:33 am david

LISTEN… DICKHEAD

Your pathetic wrantings and childish scribble say more about you than than they will ever say about Thailands Beloved King and his family.

The Thai Royals are too dignified to respond to the neurotic rantings of a rediculous FOOL like yourself, So on there behalf I will call you

A less than credible garbage bucket who is grosely misinformed. Thai people call you ….AI….PUN….YA…ON…HA..HA..HA………….

21. on 05 Apr 2013 at 7:09 am dan tynan

Ain’t freedom of speech grand?

22. on 01 May 2013 at 9:14 pm Kenji

I wanna donate the condoms to your parent.

23. on 07 May 2013 at 10:59 am dan tynan

Ok, but won’t you also need to donate a time machine?

Trackback URI | Comments RSS